Saturday 26 September 2009

London Train

So I was going home for the weekend....and who did I start talking to the art director from Elmwood Micheal Smith he works in Elmwood in Soho. It was a very unexpected meeting, I got talking to him about the course that I was doing and what area of design I focus in and what I wanted to do after university.
He gave me his contact details and told me to send me my portfolio across to him.

Me

Hi Michael,

Its Lauren who you met over the weekend on the train to London.

Was really nice to meet you, I really appreciated your help and the advice that you gave me. 
Hopefully, with your help, I will find some work experience either at Elmwood or in the London area.

I've attached my Portfolio, if you could take a look at it and let me know what you think and maybe send it on to
colleagues, friends and opposition! 

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards and thanks again,

Lauren.
Elmwood




Hia Lauren


Thanks for sending your details through, it was great to meet you also.
I have checked with the guys here in the London office and we will not be taking in placements over the next couple of months but this might well change. Probably worth you sending me an email in a couple of months as a reminder.


In the meantime I will circulate your details around Elmwood to the other Design Directors and on to some other agencies. My advice would be to try and send your CV and work samples to as many agencies as you can now, as it gets busy with new graduates looking for work in the summer.


As for the way you are presenting your work, my advice would be to have less on a page and concentrate on showing just the strongest part of each project. I would also try and show even more ideas based design as most agencies look for the big ideas in portfolios.


Hope this helps in some way.
Wishing you all the very best in your search.




Cheers
Mike

Me
Thank you for getting back to me, I have taken your advice and made a few changes to my portfolio in the way of layout.


Attached is the improved portfolio if you get a chance would you be able to briefly look over it for me? Also if I sent you a few pieces of my work from briefs that I'll be working on in the next few weeks and in the future would I be able to get some feedback from you? because this would be very helpful to hear your point of view but I do know that your very busy.


I have a few agencies in mind around the London area that I am going to send my CV and portfolio to, and to see if I get any success from that.
If the opportunity is still there I would still like to come and visit your studios in London over the summer if this was possible.


Thanks again for your help.


Lauren.
Me
Hi,


I'm going to be back in Cambridge next month and I was just wondering if it was possible to come to the studio in London to visit for a day or two?
If you could let me know that would be great.


Thankyou


Regards
Lauren.

Elmwood
Hi Lauren

Popping in to have a look around and meet the guys should be fine. Unfortunately we can’t offer any work placements at the moment. Alex Gillott who is a fellow designer here will be in touch to arrange something. He’ll show you around and answer any questions you may have. And of course if I have time on the day, I’ll make time for a chat.

Mike
 

No comments:

Post a Comment